- The Water Bottle Method: Fill a water bottle, place the supplement on your tongue, and then close your lips tightly around the bottle opening. Suck the water out of the bottle as if you’re drinking usually, which should help the supplement go down more smoothly.
- The “Lean Forward” Technique: Place the supplement on your tongue and sip water, but don’t swallow yet. Lean your head forward so your chin is close to your chest, then swallow. This method may be handy for capsules, which float.
- Coat with oil: Coat the supplement with a small amount of oil, like coconut or olive.
- Chewable or Crushable Supplements: If your supplement can be chewed or crushed, mix it with organic peanut butter to make taking easier.
- Use a Straw: Place the supplement on your tongue and drink water through a straw. The suction can help propel the supplement to the back of your throat, making it easier to swallow. This method is my favorite go-to for children!
- Two-Sip Method: Take a sip of water to moisten your mouth, place the supplement on your tongue, and then take another big sip. Swallow both the supplement and the water together.
- Relaxation Techniques: Anxiety can make swallowing supplements more difficult. Techniques like deep breathing or guided imagery can help you relax before taking your medication.
- Follow Up with More Water After swallowing the supplement, take a few more sips to ensure it has moved down your esophagus and into your stomach.
If you are not sure what to take, you can check out our protocols or become a patient of Dr. Jessica’s, we recommend starting by booking a New Patient Phone Consult.